I started off with a very simple set of interfaces and classes, as a small first step, in defining the domain of the application. Now that the artist object, and works of art object are defined in the World of Art domain, I though it would be a good time to develop the first iteration of the database. This is the data which will populate the world of art objects and their properties. In my opinion, it is the domain that must first be defined, then the requirements of the database can be derived from the domain.
In order to form an abstracted view of the World of Art domain, I created a class library and class diagram. In Visual Studio 2010, I first created a new project called “ArtWorldObjects”, from the Class Library template. I then added some very simple classes based on the current knowledge of the domain.